Armed Forces Day 2018
Written by karen on 29 June 2018
Armed Forces Day 2018 is on Saturday 30th June.
There are a number of events taking place locally and you can also find out more on the website
- Sheppey Leisure Complex are celebrating on Wednesday 4th July.
They are allowing all uniformed military personnel’s to use our fitness & leisure facilities completely FREE including immediate family members. (ID card will be required).
- Armed Force Celebration Evening, Canterbury. 6:30 pm to 9:30 Knight Avenue, Canterbury CT2 8QA. The concert will celebrate the Centenary of the ending of WW1 and the Centenary of the Royal Air Force which was formed on 1st April 1918.The concert include performances from the Salvation Army Band, Snowdon Colliery Male Choir, Canterbury Ladies Choir, Dancers from Canterbury Academy (ex students of CA) Poetry Readings from CA students. A pre-concert Poetry Competition will be held for the affiliated Primary School Junior and Senior year of the Academy. We are also planning a live skype link with the Royal Air Force station as part of the event.
- Sittingbourne Diversity House Celebrates Heroes
Our event is meant to celebrate our heroes – (armed forces personnel) who gallantly defend our nation . Therefore, we aim to hold a community and inter-generational day of celebration in their honour. This celebration will entail us doing the following activities:
1. Public talks on what it entails to be in the armed forces – careers available, opportunities for education and training; and life after services. Also, we will have a presentation from an army wife, who will talk about the family aspect of the armed forces. A third presentation will be given on women and young girls in the armed forces exploring challenges and opportunities to encourage younger girls to think about Army career.
2. Music and dance
3. Exhibition of World War One soldiers (men and women) and their legacies;
4. Arts and Craft workshops with community audience making inclusive poppies;
5. Working with communities to identify ways of erecting inclusive cenotaphs for our Armed Forces, which will be unveiled on the Remembrance Day November 2018;
- Medway Armed Forces Day
A free entry showcase event for the entire Armed Forces Family. This year sees a special focus on the infantry with the Freedom of the Borough being conferred on the Princess of Wales’s Royal Regiment on Sunday 1st July.
Twenty acres of displays and have-a-go activities for all ages. Royal Engineer trades village, army medical services, infantry displays, Royal Military Police, Army PTI’s kiddies obstacle course, Naval Forces display area, helicopters fly-in, military parade, bandstand concerts, military wives choir, arena displays, military heritage displays and a giant funfair. More than fifty display stands showcasing the armed forces, cadet forces, armed forces charities and military interest groups. More to be announced.
The venue is within walking distance of the Royal Engineers Museum and the Chatham Naval Memorial.
The venue is wheelchair accessible at all points. Buses stop at the main entrance on Brompton Road. Gillingham Train Station is just 10 minutes walk away. Park & Ride details to be announced.