Community Seed Swap & ME10 School Flower Bed Design Exhibition
Written by karen on 18 January 2017
Swale Borough Council and Sittingbourne in Bloom run a flower bed competition every year. All primary schools in ME10 are invited to take part. This year nearly 300 entries from 7 schools were received. For a riot of colour to brighten January at No.34 we are exhibiting all their designs in our gallery spaces Tuesday 17th until Saturday 21 January 2017.
The Sittingbourne in Bloom committee choose the winning design and the top 3 designers are invited for tea in the Mayors parlour in February. In June the winning design will be made into a public floral display in the flower bed situated at the end of St Michaels Road. A sign with the winner’s name on will be placed there and this will be presented to the winner at the end of the summer.
Looking forward to the spring & the start of the growing season we’ve invited Sittingbourne in Bloom to hold a Community Seed Swap at No.34 on Saturday 21st January. The event is for those new to gardening as well as keen gardeners. Swapping Seeds is FREE, so bring any you’d like to exchange, we’ll even have a few giveaways for the first timers & with Sittingbourne in Bloom members on hand to chat, all sorts of useful green fingered knowledge will be shared as well as seeds.
The Sittingbourne in Bloom Committee comprises volunteers and a Swale in Bloom co-ordinator whose aim is to make Sittingbourne a more colourful and interesting place in which to live and work.
The annual programme of work includes:-
- Raising funds to pay for floral decorations in the central area of the town.
- An annual floral design competition for school children. This attracts an entry of about 500 designs each year.
- A Spring front gardens competition and a Summer competition which includes front gardens, business premises, public buildings, public houses, residential homes and schools.
- Entry in the large town category of the South and South East in Bloom annual competition. In 2016 the town was awarded a Silver Gilt award.
- An annual prize-giving evening to reward those who have done well in the annual front gardens competitions.
- Planting and maintenance of planters at Mill Way and on the corner of East Street and Bell Road.
- Annual bulb planting schemes at various points throughout the town.
The Committee would welcome new volunteers. If you feel you could spare a few hours occasionally please give our Chairman, Malcolm Moore, a ring on 01795 473807.
ME10 School Flower Bed Design Exhibition is open Tuesday – Friday 11am-4pm & Sat 10am-3pm from 7 – 31 January.
The exhibition is closed Mondays & Sundays.
Sittingbourne In Bloom Community Seed Swap is a free event on Saturday 21 January, from 11am to 3p